Portal is now inviting all VIU students in any department on all campuses to submit previously unpublished works of:
- Short stories/or excerpts of novellas or novels, including postcard or flash fiction
- Poetry of all subgenres from free verse to haiku
- Non-fiction essays, travel, feature journalism, memoir
- Scripts for stage, film, TV, Web, or videogame
- Original artwork in any media including graphic art/comics, manga, and anime
- Original photography – colour or black-and-white (300dpi)
THERE IS NO SUBMISSION FEE.
Pieces are selected through a blind judging process by a jury of 20 so please do not include your name on the works themselves.
- You are welcome to submit up to 3 pieces of up to 2000 words each (scripts 10-page max please).
- Please put the title on each numbered page.
- Format: Word Document
- File name: author’sfullname-titleofsubmission.docx
- Submit up to 5 works in colour or grayscale (for graphic art/narratives, a 4-page maximum please)
- Provide a 1-3-word descriptive title for each submission.
- If printed, they will not exceed 8.5 x 11 in landscape or portrait
- Do not include watermarks.
- Formats: .tif .png (minimum 300 dpi)
- File names: photographer’sfullname-titleofsubmission.png or .eps or .jpg
If you are submitting Artwork/Photography as well as text submissions, send two separate emails indicating contents in the subject line.
All voting is done by 20+ students in the CREW 431 class individually over the Christmas holidays and is blind, ie only the Acquisitions Editor will have access to the following information (included only in the body of your email):
- your full name
- email address
- title of submission(s)
- your year of study (first, second, third, fourth, Masters etc for statistical purposes in order to increase inclusion across programs)
Deadline: the final Friday in November @ midnight (November 26, 2021)
Send to: Please e-mail submissions to viuportal [at] gmail.com