Portal is now inviting all VIU students in any department on all campuses to submit previously unpublished works of:
- Short stories/or excerpts of novellas or novels, including postcard or flash fiction
- Poetry of all subgenres from free verse to haiku
- Non-fiction essays, travel, feature journalism, memoir
- Scripts for stage, film, TV, Web, or videogame
- Original artwork in any media including graphic art/comics, manga, and anime
- Original photography – colour or black-and-white (300dpi)
THERE IS NO SUBMISSION FEE.
Pieces are selected through a blind judging process by a jury of 20 so please do not include your name on the works themselves.
- You are welcome to submit up to 3 pieces of up to 2000 words each (scripts 10-page max please).
- Please put the title on each numbered page.
- Format: Word Document (.doc or .docx)
- File name: author’sfullname-titleofsubmission.docx
- Submit up to 5 works in colour or grayscale (for graphic art/narratives, a 4-page maximum please)
- Provide a 1-3-word descriptive title for each submission.
- If printed, they will not exceed 8.5 x 11 in landscape or portrait
- Do not include watermarks.
- Formats: .tif or .png (minimum 300 dpi)
- File names: photographer’sfullname-titleofsubmission.png or .eps or .jpg
If you are submitting Artwork/Photography as well as text submissions, send two separate emails indicating contents in the subject line.
All voting is done by 20+ students in the CREW 430/431 class individually over the Christmas holidays and is blind, ie only the Acquisitions Editor will have access to the following information (included only in the body of your email):
- full name
- email address
- title of submission(s)
- genre of submission(s)
- year of study (first, second, third, fourth, Master’s etc. for statistical purposes in order to increase inclusion across programs)
Deadline: the final Friday in November @ midnight (November 25, 2022)
Send to: Please e-mail submissions to viuportal [at] gmail.com