Portal invites 2000-word entries from Canadian authors across the country for its annual Portent Contest, with the genre rotating each year among non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and script. The 2022 Portent Prize is for the best script. Deadline is October 15, 2021.
The winner is decided each year in November by a 20-person jury and awards an annual prize of $500 CDN as well as publication in the April issue the following spring.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online in a newspaper, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website/blog, or on social media.
- One entry per person in the genres of non-fiction, fiction, and script, but up to 3 poems for poetry.
- The entry should not exceed 2,000 words.
- In your email, include your full name, mailing address, email address, entry title, and the word count.
- Include only the title and word count on the first page of the submission (no names or addresses).
- Please double space your work if prose.
- Submit your work by email to viuportal [at] gmail.com
The entry fee is $25 CDN and all entrants will receive a one-year print subscription to Portal.
The entry fee is payable through the VIU Foundation website: https://giving.viu.ca/give-now by selecting “other” under Amount and entering $25. Then select “other” under Designation and type in “Portal Portent contest” in the allotted space. Fill out the remaining credit card billing information and consider yourself entered.
Alternatively, send a cheque to the VIU Foundation with $25 in Canadian funds and mail to:
Advancement & Alumni Relations Office
Bldg 310 – 900 Fifth Street
The winner will be notified via email and be announced on Portal’s website and social media, with the publication of the winning entry appearing in Portal’s April issue. The winner will also be interviewed for the Portal website.
Past Winners include:
Sabrina Mudryk – Poetry, 2021 “They Are Waiting”
Rose McQuirter – Fiction, 2020 “Bump and Strike”
Zach Cooper – Non-fiction, 2019 “On Your Left”