Portal invites 2000-word entries from Canadian authors across the country for its annual Portent Contest, with the genre rotating each year among non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and script. The 2024 Portent Prize is for the best work of fiction. The deadline is October 15, 2023.
The winner is decided each winter by a 20-person jury and awards an annual prize of $500 CDN as well as publication in the April issue the following spring.
The entry fee is $25 CDN and all entrants will receive a one-year print subscription to Portal.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online in a newspaper, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website/blog, or on social media.
- One entry per person in the genres of non-fiction, fiction, and script, but up to 3 poems for poetry.
- The entry should not exceed 2,000 words.
- Include only the title and word count on the first page of the submission (no names or addresses).
- For prose, please double space your work.
- Please use Word Document format (.doc or .docx).
HOW TO ENTER
Submit your work via email to viuportal [at] gmail.com.
In the body of your email, include your:
- full name
- mailing address
- email address
- entry title
- word count
Provide payment for your $25 entry fee through the VIU Foundation website.
The winner will be notified via email and announced on Portal’s website and social media. The winner will also be interviewed for the Portal website.
Past Winners include:
Rachel Davidson—Non-fiction, 2023 “Free and Hard”
Sarah Stirling—Script, 2022 “Be My Neighbour”
Sabrina Mudryk—Poetry, 2021 “They Are Waiting”
Rose McQuirter—Fiction, 2020 “Bump and Strike”
Zach Cooper—Non-fiction, 2019 “On Your Left”