Submit to Portal
Call for Submissions
The 2019 Portal submission period has officially closed.
Be sure to follow us on social media for our upcoming contest submissions and next year’s Portal issue.
Portal, VIU’s annual literary magazine launched each year in April, is a gateway to accomplished short fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction, scripts, interviews, art and photography by Vancouver island university student.
Portal is now inviting submissions from all VIU students in any department on all campuses for its 2019 issue. There is no submission fee. Pieces are selected through blind judging so please do not include your name on the works themselves. We welcome all previously unpublished genres and subgenres of:
- Short Fiction/or excerpts of longer works
- Creative Non-Fiction
- Scripts (film, video, stage)
- Original Artwork
- Please do not submit more than 3 pieces of 2000 words each (scripts 10-page max please). Please put the title on each numbered page.
- Formats: .doc .docx .rtf
- File name: fullname-titleofsubmission
- Maximum 5 titled/captioned pieces in colour or grayscale (for graphic art/narratives, a 4-page maximum please), 8.5 x 11 landscape or portrait. No watermarks.
- Formats: .tif .png (minimum 300 dpi)
- File names: fullname-titleofsubmission
All voting is done by 20+ students in the CREW 431 class privately over the Christmas holidays and is blind, ie only the Acquisitions Editor will have access to the following information included only in the body of your email:
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Title of Submission(s)
- Your year of study (first, second, third, fourth, Masters etc for statistical purposes in order to increase inclusion across programs)
First published in 1991, the 2019 issue will be 96-pages of full-colour and will include an interview with award-winning Canadian poet Lorna Crozier, book reviews, a contest, and more. Find us on newsstands in bookstores across the country.
Friday November 30th @ midnight
Please e-mail submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org