Portent Prize for Creative Non-Fiction is now closed
Portal, Canada’s only full-colour nationally distributed literary magazine, invites entries from Canadian authors for its premiere CNF Portent Prize. The deadline is November 1, 2018, and the grand prize is $500 (Canadian funds) to one winner. The 2018 shortlist guest judge is TBC.
The Portent Prize is awarded to the best work submitted to the magazine’s annual contest for a genre that embraces, but is not limited to: the personal essay, memoir, narrative nonfiction, social commentary, travel writing, historical accounts, cultural criticism, nature writing, literary journalism, or biography.
At this time, Portal only accepts mailed submissions. Please read the following guidelines before submitting:
- The entry must not be more than 2,000 words.
- Only indicate title and word count on the first page of the submission (no names or addresses).
- Please double space your work.
- One entry per person.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved. On a separate page list the entrant’s: full name; mailing address; email address; title of entry; word count.
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible. Previous publication is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook.
- The winner will be notified via email and be announced on Portal’s website and Facebook page, with the publication of the winning entry appearing in Portal’s 2019 issue. The winner will be interviewed for the Portal website.
- All entrants will receive a one-year print subscription to Portal for themselves or a friend.
- Entry fee required: $25 CAD
- go to the VIU Foundation website (https://giving.viu.ca/give-now) and select “other” under Amount and enter $25 and “other” under Designation typing in Portal Portent contest in the allotted space. Fill out the remaining credit card billing information and consider yourself entered.
- Alternatively, enclose a cheque made out to the VIU Foundation with $25 in Canadian funds and mail to: David Forrester – Portent Contest, Advancement & Alumni Relations Office 900 Fifth Street, Building 310 Nanaimo, BC V9R 5S5.
- Submit your ms by email to email@example.com
- Alternatively, cheques and printed manuscripts can be mailed to the bellow address.
Addressing Zone Details
Submissions and cheques can be mailed to:
Attn: David Forrester – Portent Contest
VIU Building 340, Room 311
900 Fifth Street
- Enclose a cheque for $25 in Canadian funds made out to “The VIU Foundation” with Portal Contest in the memo line. Cheques should be included in the same envelope as the CNF Portent Prize submission.